Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Mom's Quilt

So awhile back I had the idea to throw a surprise party for my mom since she would be turning 50 in February. She's never had a surprise party before and so I thought it would be really fun to do this for her. We were thinking about doing it in February around President's Day (since my bros and Jake would have school/work off on that Monday) in St. George seeing as their house would probably be done by then. Unfortunately that wasn't going to work with my dad's schedule with work and church. So we decided to do it over Christmas break. I had planned on making her a quilt the whole time and started working on it at the end of November just leisurely, knowing that I had til February to finish it. Then when the plans changed I kicked it into high gear and had a quilting marathon. I pushed this thing out so fast it was crazy! I also was going home Dec. 14th, so I had hardly any time at all to get this thing done, but I did it. The week before I left for home was insane. Any second I had I was working on that quilt. I got the binding sewn on the day before I left, and then I had to work on hand sewing the back of the binding on at nights while I was in bed. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. I ended up quilting 149 lines down it. Piecing was nothing compared to the quilting. Holy cow! The party was Dec. 27th and I finished the binding the night before. As I was clipping off random threads I came across a section where the binding didn't catch when I machine sewed it on. I was devastated. Luckily it wasn't a big deal and I just fixed it later after I gave it to my mom. Then I hand-sewed a label for it during the week. Once all of that was done I washed it the night before we left to come back to Boise only to find that the washing machine popped a hand-sewn stitch on the back so I had to fix that. It was a good thing I washed it while I was still there. I finally and completely finished that quilt just in time for me to come back to Boise. I'm not going to lie, I'm relieved to finally have it done! Here it is in all it's glory sewn with love for my mom! Oh and she was VERY surprised! It was so fun to do that and yes tears were shed! Score! (The pattern is called Plain and Spoken and the colors I chose are my mom's favorites!)


10 comments:

The Cornett Family said...

I am forever jealous of your quilting skills! SOOOO beautiful! You're amazing!

Unknown said...

Yes she is amazing!!!! Not only for the beautiful quilt but for being the person that she is. Thanks for a great surprise and the quilt is soooo wonderful. You are the BEST!!!!

Erika and Jason said...

I love the quilt! You did a wonderful job on it. I hope you continue to enjoy sewing;)

Lyss said...

I love love love it! Someday I am going to have to learn! It is really pretty!

Brett and Sydnie said...

Linds that is amazing! You did such a great job! I keep meaning to call you to chat but I keep forgetting-I'm not the best at remembering things I need to do currently....

Hope things are going good. I'd love to hear an update on the babies!

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness! Great job! That looks ridiculously hard to me.

Jennifer Andersen said...

The quilt is beautiful! I'm very impressed with your quilting skills!

Sandi said...

The quilt is Sweeeeeet!(Although I still like the one you made for Eve better, but there isn't any bias there.) Also, I feel like we had similar quilting frenzies. I was working on sewing on the binding to my mom's Christmas quilt the night before Christmas Eve, so I can totally understand the feeling of relief you mentioned. Oh, and Happy Birthday Week, we miss you guys!

Carolyn said...

Love it! Absolutely beautiful!

Merlyn & Rosemary said...

Lindsay, this quilt is absolutely beautiful. Your matching of the pieces is so professionally done. We love the colors and the binding. You truly are a wonder and we send much love to you.
Grandma & Grandpa Jones