Sunday, August 10, 2008

Welcome Home!

I've always loved to open a freezer on a hot summer day to feel cold goodness. I remember times on my mission after super hot and humid days when I would practically put my head inside our little fridge/freezer to try and cool off.

Today was not one of those enjoyable freezer experiences of old.

I made a quick trip up to Moscow from McCall to drop off a load of our stuff to make the impending return to school easier on us. As I walked into our apartment after a 3 hour drive, I immediately smelled that something wasn't right. In fact, it smelled like rotting mold (not kidding, like mold on mold). I was trying to remember if we left any food out, but then I went to the fridge and opened it up. I could hear the motor running and the light came on, but it was hotter IN the fridge than OUT. This wasn't too much of a problem in the fridge, because we took everything out of that. I then opened the freezer:

(Warning: The following images may not be appropriate for the faint of heart or if you are planning on eating in the next few hours)

"Freezer" at this point is a misnomer, because the fan was still running and HOT air was still being forced in, which only accelerated the rotting process. Let's look a little closer, shall we?

These Raviolis don't usually come packaged with this much air


Likewise, that Jimmy Dean shouldn't be bulging like that


The ice cream in these bars had disappeared, they were empty and that was freaky


The frozen chicken had become a molded, coagulated brain of gross


Here's what I affectionately termed the "Eggo-cicle"


The red is exploded Strawberry Daiquiri mix, the brown is the melted/molded Eggo waffles


Remember the noquis from Valentine's Day? That ziploc bag held leftovers.


That's not MY homestyle


"Product has been enlarged to show texture." They didn't mention the mold and sickness.


This is how I left it for the maintenance guy. It's taped because the heat warped the seals so it doesn't close, and I didn't want it to stink up our apartment anymore than it already had. I tried to clean it out a little, but I wasn't going to spend all afternoon cleaning it out if they have to replace it anyway.

Moral: Don't assume that your fridge will outlast your vacation

5 comments:

Mike said...

So, is this a bad time to tell you that we unplugged your fridge? I guess that doesn't really jive with the story, but the pictures convey so much more than a simple phone call. wow.

MegRich said...

Wow... gross. How long were you guys gone? I didn't know that my computer screen had smell-o-vision, but I can almost taste the rottenness of it all. So sorry you had to come home to that!

Natalie said...

Good job identifying everything! Sorry we missed you.

Robby said...

That is even worse than I imagined! Yikes, I am glad there wasn't anything in the fridge.

Camille said...

ahah- oh my gosh, that was disgusting! that reminded me of when eric and i were driving to boston in june. i, being the thrifty one, didn't want to throw out the stuff we still had in our freezer when we had to move. so, i put some frozen food (berries, go-gurts, and ravioli) in a cooler with ice. well, during the 4 day drive from provo to boston, we forgot about the cooler.... needless to say, our cooler looked a lot like your freezer, and probably smelled like it, too! hopefully your freezer gets fixed soon!